Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Fly Away - Day 3

Today is the middle day of One Week With . . . Fly Away.  I have a really fun project to share today.  It was a labor of much love . . . trust me.  My son and his class have a reading goal that they are each to read for 68 hours.  My son is over half way there.  He gets so excited about reading and finding new books.  He is constantly asking for bookmarks, new books to read (as you can imagine that we read a lot), and book related things.  So, I had this idea to buy all the kids in his class a book for Christmas and outfit them with some small goodies.  We are both pleased with the outcome. 


I talked my son into going with the "Fly away with me" theme.  He loved it because when you read a book you can go on so many different journeys.  You can see that we made two versions or colors of the book mark and bookplate.  I liked the variety.  I then went on to stamp all the little brown bags that these are going into.  My son and I meticulously went through several Scholastic book orders (you gotta love Scholastic when it comes to economical books) and hand picked books to go with each student in his class.  This is a sampling of the books - tons of boys getting "Flat Stanley" books.  Each child will receive  a book, book mark, and book plate all inside the cute stamped brown bag tied with green ribbon.  My son was upset that we aren't going to make tags to go on the bags.  :)  I have to draw the line somewhere!

Here is a closer view of the bags, book mark, and bookplate.  

Here is a closer look at the two colors - one in rustic white and one in kraft.  I should also note that we are going to adhere the book plates inside the books prior to sacking.  I thought that would help them actually get used, and we have a chance to write on them.  I am big on writing in books that I gift.  

I hope they like them.  It really was a labor of love.  My son gets a kick out of all the silly things I will put on his bookmarks.  I also know that bookmarks have a short life when it comes to 1st and 2nd graders.  That is why my emphasis was simple but cute.

Wow, only two days left in One Week With . . . Fly Away.  It goes so fast!  Tomorrow I will have some more "kid" things to share.  Until then . . . 

Supplies - All Papertrey Ink unless noted:
Stamps: Fly Away, Up Up and Away, All Booked Up, Borders (The Paper Studio)
Paper: Rustic White, Kraft
Ink: Ripe Avocado, Tea Dye Duo, Smokey Shadow, Vintage Cream
Other: Mat Stack 3 Die, Bookmark Die, Chocolate Bakers Twine, Ripe Avocado Ribbon

1 comment:

Jen Carter said...

Oh my! What a fun, fun idea and a great gift! Love how you made these! How special for your son!