Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Fly Away - Day 2

I hope that you are enjoying Fly Away as much as I am.  I was somewhat skeptical when I first chose this set, but now that I have a few projects under my belt I know that it was the right choice.  For today, I have a fun little card and accompanying treat.


When I was a little girl, I saw an airplane similar to this at an Air Show in my home town.  Seriously, I should have known then that I was going to be a lifelong crafter.  I still remember how they went together years later (honestly it was like 22 years ago!)  I haven't ever made any and thought there was no better time.


I modified my candy plane from the original design.  The plane I saw as a girl was made from smarties, a single stick of gum, lifesaver wheels, and a rubber band.  I wanted an upgrade.  :)  So, I used a roll of lifesavers (covered in paper so it was "prettier"), a small pack of gum, and some round buttons.  I wanted to give these out in my son's class.  The original design called for lifesaver wheels.  However, that required me unwrapping the Life Savers.  :)  How times have changed!  Sure daughter go ahead and eat that Life Saver that has been touched by many hands and unwrapped for days; no big deal.  :)  I chose the sanitary road.  I also wrapped mine in twine instead of a rubber band.  Again, can you imagine a class of 31 first and second graders all armed with a rubber band.  :)  I can hear all the teachers thanking me.

For the focal point of my small square notecard, I layered some dies with a cut out airplane.  I used a little doodling on the white scalloped die cut.  It was intimidating at first, but now I am addicted to getting out my markers and adding a little doodle.  :)  I used a 1.75 inch punched circle as a template for the circle and then freehanded the dots.  Such fun!

Thanks for joining me for day 2.  I hope you are enjoying all the fun things that can be done with these small planes.  Tomorrow I have a similar, non-card project to share.

Supplies - All Papertrey Ink unless noted:
Reach for the Sky
Stamps:  Fly Away, Up Up and Away, Round and Round
Paper: Rustic White, Blueberry Sky
Ink: Spring Rain, Fresh Snow, Smokey Shadow, Noir (Pallette)
Other: Mat Stack 1 Die, Limitless Labels Die, Copics, Blue Jay ZIG Writer
Candy Airplane
Rustic White Cardstock, Life Savers Roll, Blue circle buttons (My Minds Eye), Small pack of stick gum, Rustic Twine

2 comments:

Karen C. said...

The little candy and gum plane is so fun! I really like the crisp clean colour scheme of white and blue.

Jen Carter said...

I so remember those candy airplanes (and trains too)! I loved them then and now! Yours is so super cute!! I love how you used the airplane with the mat stack and image! Works perfectly!